There’s nothing quite more exhilarating than creative activities returning back in full force in this part of the world just before the year ends. Design Shanghai is taking the lead when it comes to exciting events at the Shanghai World Expo Exhibition and Convention Center from November 26 to 29. In honor of Asia’s ever-growing design community, the four-day affair offers a unique and exciting platform to network, exchange, and establish long-term business relations with Asia’s top architects, interior designers, property developers, retailers, collectors, and private buyers.
The prestigious gathering will see an attendance of the best in the industry and comprehensive seminar programs in Asia, which will feature 40 international design icons live on stage to share insights on the future of design. It will also reflect the diversity of the creative community in various fields. The event will most certainly feature bespoke installations, an inspirational design forum, and anticipated networking events.
This year’s Design Shanghai presents more than 400 brands and a venue 40% larger in size than the previous edition. There are also two new sections included. The Objects & Accessories and Talents have been added to Contemporary Design, Classic & Luxury, Kitchen & Bathroom, Workplace, New Materials, and Applications. In partnership with Audi, this spectacular event sets a precedent in Asia for breaking new ground with many brands to watch out for.
CELEBRATING REGIONAL TALENT
Chinese brands and designers have gained recognition on the international stage over the past few years. Design Shanghai also aims to support the domestic design community by highlighting the local scene with exposure through a variety of events. Ones to watch out for in the Contemporary Design section is Mario Tsai Studio. He will present a light and music installation titled Colosseum. On the other hand, Ugan Concept will release the 2020 Saddle collection encompassing a chair, a table, a lamp, a shelf, and flooring products. Quite popular for its iconic adjustable desks and other functional products, UFOU will concentrate on spaces for home offices.
Combining inspirations from distinctly diverse cultures, RK Furniture will showcase a well-balanced home space with handmade rugs and carefully curated furniture. If by any chance, you are interested in exploring the relations between art, mathematics, and design, Xiaoxi Shi, founder of 2-LA Design, will bring the Knot Table, Sansui Aroma, and a few other functional art pieces to Design Shanghai. Lighting brand SEEDDESIGN, outdoor furniture specialist KUNDESIGN, furniture brand 8 Hours, and WUU are prominent participants and will also see a return to the event this year so keep your eyes peeled for these names.
DON’T MISS IN THE CONTEMPORARY DESIGN SECTION
- The Danish family-owned Fredericia will present a variety of products that embody the spirit of Nordic design and aesthetics. AYTM will debut the SS20 collection.
- Italian brand Zanotta will showcase home furniture that balances artistic elements and technology.
- Marmo’s selection will be focused on stylish and accessible home furniture and accessories that reflect authentic and dedicated craftsmanship.
- Sun at Six, a wooden furniture brand from the United States, pays tribute to the traditional Chinese technique mortise and tenon.
- Ligne Roset from France will present a wide range of beautiful furniture products.
- Spanish brand Andreu World will highlight a series of wooden furniture.
- Gufram returns with its iconic Domestic Sculptures, such as the Bocca chair and Metacactus.
DON’T MISS IN THE KITCHEN AND BATHROOM SECTION
- German luxury kitchen brand AXOR will dedicate its debut at Design Shanghai to the latest collections in collaboration with Chinese designers Jamy Yang and Zhang Lei.
- Gorenje teams up with French designers Philippe Starck and Ora Ito to create a series of colorful appliances for the show in Shanghai.
- The high-end Japanese brand Cleanup will showcase kitchen cabinets made of medical standard stainless steel.
DON’T MISS IN THE WORKSPACE SECTION
- ESTEL is a leading office furniture maker and will demonstrate how to designate work and leisure areas at home by using different colors and materials.
- Technogym will showcase aerobic and functional fitness products along with a complimentary cloud service.
- RENSON, a Belgian brand that specializes in natural ventilation systems and sun-protection systems, will introduce sustainable solutions that are balanced with comfort and design.
- Italian environmental materials pioneer Tabu and French brand Tarkett will both launch new products at Design Shanghai.
Design Shanghai 2020
When: November 26–29, 2020
Where: Shanghai World Expo Exhibition and Convention Center, 1099 Guozhan Road, Pudong, Shanghai, China
Ticketing details: Contact 021-64079697 or e-mail [email protected]
For more details, visit www.designshanghai.com