Built by the Jesuits, from 1617 to 1626, this was the city’s principal military defence structure and was crucial in successfully holding off the attempted Dutch invasion of Macao in 1622. The fortress was demilitarized in 1976.
A glimpse from Macau’s past. The grounds offer a peaceful retreat from the city below, with near panoramic views of Macau available from various points around the fort. Right below are the Ruins of St. Paul. The Macao Museum is located on site.