An elegant building constructed in 1911, Coloane Library stands on Rua 5 de Outubro, Coloane. The library was formerly the Coloane Public Elementary School, one of three elementary schools on the outlying islands. Later, the function of the building was changed several times until it was remodeled as a library in 1983.
The library occupies 170 square meters and provides 22 seats. It contains some 8,928 volumes, mostly children’s books and popular novels, as well as 42 newspaper titles from different areas and 48 types of magazines.