200 LITOFAIRHOUR, by Charles Pétillon
Art is juxtaposed against striking architecture at Melco’s City of Dreams with the incredible launch of the first-ever Art Macao. Signaling a rise in its role as a creative city in the region, it’s no surprise that Macau inspires art as much as it does entertainment. You’ll find diverse forms of artistic expression across the city within a cultural backdrop that is constantly evolving. While the Asian city is popular and renowned for its glittering casinos and luxurious lifestyle options, Macau’s evolution to becoming an innovative and first-class city delves on redefining its identity.
This year, Macau’s art scene flourishes with international exhibitions and installations aimed at bringing creativity to the forefront of the city. Residents and visitors alike can now explore the latest artistry and design innovation with a stroll to their favorite destinations. From traditional to contemporary art, Macau’s varied public spaces provide fantastic locations for art and installations.
Take a walk around the vibrant City of Dreams to discover an alternative side to the city’s art landscape at the “Unexpected Encounters” exhibition in celebration of the inaugural Art Macao. Find out how contemporary art has liberated itself from classical forms; get to know pieces from renowned masters from each continent exploring art in all its forms. The artworks featured at City of Dreams have been selected because they provide a unique encounter with the audience. Embark on a journey of artistic discovery as we dissect thought-provoking creations set to transform the way you traverse the integrated resort.
Interesting Facts About The Exhibition
• There is a reason behind the exhibition title “Unexpected Encounters”. It aims to bring art to its audience rather than waiting for the audience to arrive at it. The exhibition is designed to surprise guests as they walk through the remarkable spaces. No corner is ignored and each piece is selected to arouse curiosity. The intent is to wake the audience’s interest in art and to draw guests towards the artworks. It evokes a unique experience with a mission to break from the norm and inspire new ideas for viewers to dwell and reflect upon.
• Each work of art was willfully selected to fit their designated space. Several works were in fact customized for specific locations. The installation by Julio Le Parc and the piece by Shinji Ohmaki (in picture above) are such examples. Each piece was meticulously curated for its space but also to fit within the overall art collection at City of Dreams. The featured artists are established and recognized as the best in their field, with three of them being gold medal winners of the Venice Biennale.
• A truly creative journey means to inspire and be inspired. The artists and their teams spent extensive time to create and install the artworks. Mr. Frederic Winckler, Melco’s Chief Marketing and Brand Officer and Curator of “Unexpected Encounters” explained, “Just like many facets of our lives, choosing artwork is a very personal journey. It is about choosing the right artist, the right pieces, and the best home for them. It involves a great deal of communication to create a good exhibit or a good collection.”
Begin Your Art Adventure
“Unexpected Encounters” changes the way visitors meander through the City of Dreams with its impressive collection to strike a chord in one’s heart and mind. Taking you on a journey of beauty, time and imagination, visitors are immersed in the world of art. Begin exploring with your favorite pieces that will leave a lasting impression as well as look incredible on your Instagram feed.
• Standing at an impressive few stories high, “Good Intention” by KAWS is hard to miss. The stunning sculpture emphasizing the deep bond between parent and child will surely stir emotions.
• “Echoes Infinity” by Shinji Ohmaki represents a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors between Morpheus and The House of Dancing Water. Strike a pose against the plant-inspired patterns that will further brighten up a day of strolling around the magnificent property. Influenced by Da Vinci’s “Tree of Life” and architecture designed by the late Dame Zaha Hadid at Morpheus, this piece was tailor-made for the property.
• “200 LITOFAIRHOUR” by Charles Pétillon evokes fun as it reminds you of childhood with its white fabric bubbles suspended like a giant cloud. Looking up has never been this stylish in the city.
• “9 Seas” by Mathieu Lehanneur was created with ceramic discs representing the colors of the ocean. It shows us a different perspective of the aquatic universe and allows reflection of the mind and soul.
• “Wild Pansy” by Jean-Michel Othoniel is a magical work of art. Suspended in between the entrances of Nüwa and Morpheus, the masterpiece is made of silver glass pearls that also focuses on the perspective of geometry. It symbolizes freedom of thought and fluidity of beauty.
• “I am busy today” & “Look at me!” by Paola Pivi is the epitome of cool with two huggable bears covered in bright pink and deep blue fur. Inspired by an early encounter with polar bears by the artist, this piece focuses on transforming fear to amusement and highlights the true plight of climate change.
• “Fat Convertible” by Erwin Wurm steals the spotlight with the chassis of a real-life Porsche. With the body plumped up, this piece with an animated feel provokes fun, while kids will love its bright colors and cute look.
When: June 6–October 31, 2019
Where: City of Dreams, Estrada do Istmo, Cotai
How much: Free admission
For more information, check here
“Unexpected Encounters” at City of Dreams is part of the mega international art and cultural event Art Macao.
Happening from May to October this year, Art Macao brings together cultural institutions, hotel and resort operators, consular missions in Hong Kong and Macau to create an unforgettable atmosphere and cultural vitality to thrill residents and tourists alike.