Built in 1864, St. Francisco Barracks is a colonial neoclassical building that of pink-washed stone with white trim. The name originates from the convent that used to occupy the territory of St. Francisco Garden in the 16th century. The convent was founded and built by the friars of the Franciscan order. Hence, it was named after Saint Francis. After the Roman Church’s reform, the convent was abandoned and the site became a military camp.
St. Francisco Barracks housed the Battalion of the First Line, Portuguese military forces. The Portuguese brought them to Macau in case of a Chinese attack that never happened. Today it serves as the headquarters for the Security Forces and sections of the Police Force. In the lobby, there is a gallery of print and pictures of the destroyed convent and fort, as well as an exhibition of old weapons, modern police uniforms, and other exhibits.